A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | R | S | T | V | W | Z |

Fax junk mail

To reduce the amount of junk faxes you receive visit www.mpsonline.org.uk


Fireworks can be classed as household waste but only in small quantities and can either be thoroughly soaked to totally inactivate the explosives before putting them in with your general waste or they can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre. Larger quantities would be classed as commercial waste. For larger quantities, please be advised to contact the merchandiser for advice on disposal.

Fly tipping

It is a serious offence to fly tip. Offenders can be fined up to £20,000 or even sent to prison. Reports of fly tipping should be made to your local district or borough council or to the Environment Agency on 0800 807060. If you pay someone to take excess waste from your property, you must check to see if they are a registered waste carrier. Ask to see their license - if they don`t have one and the waste is subsequently fly tipped, then it could be you who is responsible and fined.

Foil / Aluminium foil / Tin foil / Kitchen foil

Over £12 million of foil is thrown away every year in the UK when it could easily be recycled. Clean household foil and aluminium trays can be recycled in some household collection schemes and at recycling points - please check your local Council website to see if it is accepted in your area. Instead of wrapping your lunch in foil why not pop it straight into a reusable lunch box? Old foil trays can be used in the garden as seed trays or in the house or garden as drip trays for plants. Clean foil can also be a great resource for kids crafts.

Food and drink pouches

Pouches such as those used to contain coffee, pet food and baby food should be place in your general waste bin. These pouches are not accepted in your recycling collections from home. However, some types/brands of pouches (and other difficult-to-recycle items) are collected by a company called TerraCycle who recycle them to create new products.

Food waste

Producing our food is one of the biggest contributors to climate change each year, UK households throw away 4.5 million tonnes of food that could be eaten. If everyone in the UK stopped throwing away food for just one day, it would do the same for climate change as taking 14,000 cars off the road for a whole year A great deal of food is wasted through buying and preparing too much, prevent waste by planning weekly menus, preparing suitable quantities, freezing excess food and composting raw vegetables and scraps. If you make too much food one evening why not heat it up for tomorrow`s lunch. Unavoidable cooked food waste can be hot composted at home in a Food Waste Digester

Foreign currency

Various charities will accept unwanted foreign cons. It is best to contact your local charity to find out. There are websites such as leftovercurrency.com that can take your unwanted currency and donate to charity for you.


There are many organisations out there that will take items away, you can donate to charity shops or other worthwhile causes. You could also make use of your local Freecycle or Freegle group. You can donate items or even pick up something useful that you may have been looking for yourself. Both organisations ask you to join up for free to a local group or groups.

Fridges and freezers

Anything with a plug, battery or cable can be recycled including fridges and freezers. If still in good working order you can donate to a Cumbrian Furniture Reuse Organisation, or you could offer it free on Freegle or Freecycle. If not, your local Council may operate a collection service for items such as fridges and freezers. They can also be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre. Often shops will collect your unwanted electricals when they deliver your new one - especially larger items like fridges and freezers. Type in your postcode at www.recycleyourelectricals.org.uk to find your nearest electricals recycling point.


Furniture at the end of its useful life can often be recycled, especially items made from wood and metal. Most furniture can be recycled at your local Household Waste Recycling Centre and some local authorities may also provide a collection service. If you have a piece of furniture that is still usable, you could consider selling it, passing it on to someone else via Freegle or Freecycle or there are a number of furniture reuse centres around Cumbria.

Fluorescent tubes

See light bulbs.

Fuel tanks - oil and LPG

Please call 0300 373 3730 if you live in the Cumberland Council area or 0300 373 3300 if you live in the Westmorland an Furness Council area for guidance.

If you have a question about resources or recycling please call one of the following numbers
Cumberland Council: 0300 373 3730
Westmorland & Furness Council: 0300 373 3300
Cookie information